- •Unemployment and early retirement rates were high at 8.3% and 18.0%, respectively.
- •Relevant disability and frequent seizures were predictors of loss of employment.
- •Seizure freedom was identified as a resilience factor for job retention.
- •Most patients would be able to continue working with moderate restrictions.
- •Recent use of occupational reintegration matters was rarely reported.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
- Socio-occupational and employment profile of patients with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2011; 21: 223-227
- Quality of life and correlating factors in children, adolescents with epilepsy, and their caregivers: A cross-sectional multicenter study from Germany.Seizure. 2019; 69: 92-98
- Impact of epilepsy at work: evaluation of quality of life.Arquivos De Neuro-Psiquiatria. 2002; 60: 442-445
- The impact of epilepsy on quality of life: Findings from a European survey.Epilepsy Behav. 2023; 142109179
- Prevalence, risk factors and therapeutic aspects of injuries and accidents in women with epilepsy.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2019; 45: 375-381
- Risk incidence of fractures and injuries: a multicenter video-EEG study of 626 generalized convulsive seizures.J Neurol. 2020; 267: 3632-3642
DGUV Information 250-001 - Berufliche Beurteilung bei Epilepsie und nach erstem epileptischen Anfall (Januar 2015, aktualisierte Fassung Dezember 2019).
- Some legal aspects of epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2020; 111107244
- Prejudices against people with epilepsy as perceived by affected people and their families.Epilepsy Behav. 2022; 127108535
- Social impairment and stigma in genetic generalized epilepsies.Epilepsy Behav. 2020; 104106886
- The burden of epilepsy and unmet need in people with focal seizures.Brain Behav. 2022; 12: e2589
- Noncompliance of patients with driving restrictions due to uncontrolled epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2019; 91: 86-89
- Driving without the aptitude to drive. Legal assessment of an increasing phenomenon.Z Epiletol. 2012; 25: 10-14
- Costs of Epilepsy in Austria: Unemployment as a primary driving factor.Seizure. 2021; 89: 24-29
- Trends in resource utilization and cost of illness in patients with active epilepsy in Germany from 2003 to 2020.Epilepsia. 2022; 63: 1591-1602
- Multicenter, cross-sectional study of the costs of illness and cost-driving factors in adult patients with epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2022; 63: 904-918
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on physical and mental health status and care of adults with epilepsy in Germany.Neurol Res Pract. 2022; 4: 44
- Supply problems of antiseizure medication are common among epilepsy patients in Germany.Epilepsy Behav. 2022; 138108988
- Gender differences in concerns about planning to have children and child-rearing among patients with epilepsy: A prospective, multicenter study with 477 patients from Germany.Epilepsy Behav. 2022; 129108650
- Trends in antiseizure medication prescription patterns among all adults, women, and older adults with epilepsy: A German longitudinal analysis from 2008 to 2020.Epilepsy Behav. 2022; 130108666
- Use of health-related apps and telehealth in adults with epilepsy in Germany: a multicenter cohort study.Telemed J E Health. 2023; 29: 540-550
- ILAE classification of the epilepsies: Position paper of the ILAE Commission for Classification and Terminology.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 512-521
- Operational classification of seizure types by the International League Against Epilepsy: Position Paper of the ILAE Commission for Classification and Terminology.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 522-530
- Instruction manual for the ILAE 2017 operational classification of seizure types.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 531-542
- Epidemiology Commission of the International League Against E. Premature mortality of epilepsy in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review from the Mortality Task Force of the International League Against Epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 6-16
Greenwood AM. International definitions and prospects of Underemployment Statistics. In: ILO Bureau of Statistics.
- The Benjamini-Hochberg method in the case of discrete test statistics.Int J Biostat. 2007; 3: Article 11
- Controlling the False Discovery Rate: A Practical and Powerful Approach to Multiple Testing.Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. 1995; 57: 289-300
- Problems due to small samples and sparse data in conditional logistic regression analysis.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 531-539
- Effects of perceived stigma, unemployment and depression on suicidal risk in people with epilepsy.Seizure. 2021; 91: 34-39
DeStatis. Registered Unemployed and unemployment rate by area. In; 2020.
- SARS-CoV-2-related rapid reorganization of an epilepsy outpatient clinic from personal appointments to telemedicine services: A German single-center experience.Epilepsy Behav. 2020; 112107483
- Counseling and social work for persons with epilepsy: Observational study on demand and issues in Hessen.Germany. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2013; 28: 358-362
- Recommendations for the assessment of occupational suitability of persons with epilepsy - Update 2006 and its practical implications for work integration.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 28
- Counseling and social work for people with epilepsy in Germany: A cross-sectional multicenter study on demand, frequent content, patient satisfaction, and burden-of-disease.Epilepsy Behav. 2019; 92: 114-120
- Clinical factors associated with work disability in epilepsy: A cross-sectional study at a tertiary referral hospital.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 124108310
- Number of pensions due to reduced earning capacity in Germany in the years from 1992 to 2021.In. 2022;
- Trends in resource utilization and prescription of anticonvulsants for patients with active epilepsy in Germany from 2003 to 2013 — A ten-year overview.Epilepsy & Behavior. 2018; 83: 28-35
- Direct and indirect costs of refractory epilepsy in a tertiary epilepsy center in Germany.Epilepsia. 2006; 47: 2165-2172
- Trends in resource utilization and prescription of anticonvulsants for patients with active epilepsy in Germany.Epilepsy Behav. 2013; 27: 433-438
- School performance and psychiatric comorbidity in juvenile absence epilepsy and juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: a Danish population-based cohort study.J Neurol. 2022; 269: 4997-5007
- A systematic review of neuropsychiatric comorbidities in patients with both epilepsy and intellectual disability.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 60: 130-137
- The natural history and prognosis of epilepsy.Epileptic Disord. 2015; 17: 243-253
- Freedom From Seizures Might Be Key to Continuing Occupation After Epilepsy Surgery.Front Neurol. 2021; 12585191
- Long-term employment outcomes after epilepsy surgery in childhood.Neurology. 2020; 94: e205-e216
- Factors associated with employment in epilepsy patients.Epilepsy Behav. 2007; 10: 89-95
- Experiences and perspectives of stigmatization and discrimination against people with epilepsy in Accra.Ghana. Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 87: 101-107
- Marriage, and Employment in People with Epilepsy: The Barriers that Patients Perceive. International.Journal of Epilepsy. 2020; 6
- Attitudes toward epilepsy assessed by the SAPE questionnaire in Germany - Comparison of its psychometric properties and results in a web-based vs. face-to-face survey.Epilepsy Behav. 2022; 130108665
- Have attitudes toward epilepsy improved in Germany over the last 50 years?.Epilepsy Behav. 2022; 138108982
- Retirement rigidities and the gap between effective and desired labour supply by older workers. IZA J Labor.Policy. 2018; 10
- Vocational rehabilitation service patterns and employment outcomes of people with epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2014; 108: 1469-1479
- Vocational rehabilitation services and employment outcomes for adults with cerebral palsy in the United States.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2013; 55: 1000-1008
- Person-environment contextual factors as mediators for the relationship between symptom cluster and employment outcome in multiple sclerosis.Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation. 2018; 48: 197-206
- Willems LM.Nervenarzt. 2019; 90: 832-839
- The psychoeducational program for children with epilepsy and their parents (FAMOSES): Results of a controlled pilot study and a survey of parent satisfaction over a five-year period.Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 25: 11-16
- MOSES: an educational program for patients with epilepsy and their relatives.Epilepsia. 2001; 42: 76-80
- The efficacy of an educational treatment program for patients with epilepsy (MOSES): results of a controlled, randomized study.Modular Service Package Epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2002; 43: 539-549
- United States Epilepsy Center Characteristics: A Data Analysis From the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.Neurology. 2022; 98: e449-e458
- Neurologist adherence to clinical practice guidelines and costs in patients with newly diagnosed and chronic epilepsy in Germany.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 64: 75-82
- The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.International Journal of Surgery. 2014; 12: 1495-1499
- Routinely collected electronic health data and STI research: RECORD extension to the STROBE guidelines.Sex Transm Infect. 2016; 92: 2-3