- •Adolescents with Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME) are at increased risk for psychiatric comorbidities.
- •A total of 100 JME patients (14.3 ± 2.5 years, 48 boys) and 100 controls were enrolled.
- •Psychiatric disorders were observed in 46% of JME and 6% of controls (p < 0.01).
- •Common comorbidities were somatic symptoms and related disorders, anxiety, adjustment disorders, and depression.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2007; 65: 1266-1271
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy as a spectrum disorder: A focused review.Seizure. 2017; 49: 36-41
- Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy: A Review.Arch Neurol. 1993; 50: 594-598
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: Clinical characteristics, standard and quantitative electroencephalography analyses.J Pediatr Neurosci. 2013; 8: 97-103
- Clinical features, EEG findings and diagnostic pitfalls in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: a series of 63 patients.J Neurol Sci. 2001; 184: 65-70
- Modern management of juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.Expert Rev Neurother. 2016; 16: 681-688
- Treatment options in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2011; 13: 355-370
- Cognitive impairment in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.J Clin Neurol Seoul Korea. 2007; 3: 86-92
- Psychiatric Disorders in Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 1032-1033
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: Psychiatric comorbidity and impact on outcome.Epilepsy Behav. 2013; 28: S74-S80
Gama AP, Taura M, Alonso NB, Sousa AM, Noffs MH da S, Yacubian EM, et al. Impulsiveness, personality traits and executive functioning in patients with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Seizure – Eur J Epilepsy 2020;82:125–32.
- Seizure control and anxiety: Which factor plays a major role in social adjustment in patients with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy?.Seizure. 2020; 80: 234-239
- Depression and chronic diseases: Co-occurrence and communality of risk factors.J Affect Disord. 2018; 241: 461-468
Filho GM de A, Rosa VP, Lin K, Caboclo LOSF, Sakamoto AC, Yacubian EMT. Psychiatric comorbidity in epilepsy: A study comparing patients with mesial temporal sclerosis and juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 2008;13:196–201.
- ILAE definition of the Idiopathic Generalized Epilepsy Syndromes: Position statement by the ILAE Task Force on Nosology and Definitions.Epilepsia. 2022; 63: 1475-1499
- Consensus on diagnosis and management of JME: From founder’s observations to current trends.Epilepsy Behav EB. 2013; 28: S87-S90
- The National Hospital Seizure Severity Scale: a further development of the Chalfont Seizure Severity Scale.Epilepsia. 1996; 37: 563-571
- Clinical validity and intrarater and test-retest reliability of the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-5 - Clinician Version (SCID-5-CV).Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2019; 73: 754-760
- Psychometric evaluation of the Adjustment Disorder New Module-20 (ADNM-20): A multi-study analysis.J Anxiety Disord. 2021; 81102406
- Reynolds adolescent depression scale-second edition: a reliable and useful instrument.J Clin Psychol. 2010; 66: 1324-1345
- The State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Trait version: structure and content re-examined.Behav Res Ther. 1998; 36: 777-788
- Reliability and validity of teacher-rated symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder in a clinical sample.Psychopathology. 2014; 47: 312-318
- Development and validation of the Conduct Disorder Rating Scale.Assessment. 2007; 14: 65-74
- Children’s Somatization Inventory: psychometric properties of the revised form (CSI-24).J Pediatr Psychol. 2009; 34: 430-440
- Conners 3-Self-Report Scale: An empirical support to the dimensionality of the content scales.Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2018; 23: 556-566
- Development and Initial Validation of the Five-Factor Model Adolescent Personality Questionnaire (FFM-APQ).J Pers Assess. 2018; 100: 292-304
- Development and validation of the Indian Adolescent Health Questionnaire.J Trop Pediatr. 2013; 59: 231-242
- Youth Quality of Life Instrument-Research version (YQOL-R): psychometric properties in a community sample.J Pediatr (Rio J). 2012; 88: 443-448
- Binet Kamat Test of Intelligence: Administration, Scoring and Interpretation -An In-Depth Appraisal.Indian J Ment Health. 2020; 7: 180-201
- Malin’s Intelligence Scale for Indian Children (MISIC): The erroneous practice of 6% proration.Indian J Appl Res. 2021; 11: 1-2
- Specific learning disability.J Paediatr Child Health. 2018; 54: 1077-1083
- Specific Learning Disabilities and Psychiatric Comorbidities in School Children in South India.Indian J Psychol Med. 2017; 39: 76-82
- Much ado about norming: the Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function.Child Neuropsychol J Norm Abnorm Dev Child Adolesc. 2015; 21: 225-233
- Development of scales to measure psychosocial care needs of children with seizures and their parents. 1.J Neurosci Nurs J Am Assoc Neurosci Nurses. 1998; 30: 155-160
- The DSM-5: Classification and criteria changes.World Psychiatry Off J World Psychiatr Assoc WPA. 2013; 12: 92-98
- Self-concept in adolescents with epilepsy: biological and social correlates.Pediatr Neurol. 2008; 38: 335-339
- Psychiatric Comorbidity in Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy: Psychiatric Comorbidity in Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2006; 47: 2086-2091
- The prevalence of psychosis in epilepsy; a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 75
- Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy with Frontal Executive Dysfunction is Associated with Reduced Gray Matter Volume by Voxel-based Morphometry.Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2017; 20: 270-273