- •Prospective observational open study of treatment with cannabidiol for 6 months.
- •Efficacy: 86% responders, 11% non-responders, and 2% worsening.
- •Dose: The responding patients ended with a mean of 329 mg/day.
- •Adverse events: 34% of patients reported mild adverse events and no patient reported severe adverse effects.
- •Most patients have a significant improvement in their quality of life.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
Li H-L. The origin and use of cannabis in eastern Asia linguistic-cultural szaimplications. Economic Botany 1974;28(3):293–301. McCoy B, Wang L, Zak M, Al-Mehmadi S, Kabir N, Alhadid K, et al. A prospective open-label trial of a CBD/THC cannabis oil in dravet syndrome. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2018;5(9):1077–88.
- Toward drugs derived from cannabis.Naturwissenschaften. 1978; 65: 174-179
- Cannabidiol and Cannabis sativa extract protect mice and rats against convulsive agents.J Pharm Pharmacol. 1973; 25: 664-665
Izquierdo I, Nasello AG. Effects of cannabidiol and of diphenylhydantoin on the hippocampus and on learning. Psychopharmacologia [Internet] 1973;31(2):167–75. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/4578907.
- Structure of a cannabinoid receptor and functional expression of the cloned cDNA.Nature. 1990; 346: 561-564https://doi.org/10.1038/346561a0
- Isolation and structure of a brain constituent that binds to the cannabinoid receptor.Science. 1992; 258: 1946-1949https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1470919
- The Politics of Evaluating Cannabis Regulation in Uruguay.Novos Estudos - CEBRAP. 2021; 40: 103-124
World Health Organization 2020. UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs reclassifies cannabis to recognize its therapeutic uses. https://www.who.int/news/item/04-12-2020-un-commission-on-narcotic-drugs-reclassifies-cannabis-to-recognize-its-therapeutic-uses.
Kochen S, Cannabis medicinal, Editorial. Salud Colectiva, Universidad Nacional de Lanús, 2022. ISSN 1669-2381 | EISSN 1851-8265 | doi: 10.18294/sc..3991.
- Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: Consensus proposal by the ad hoc Task Force of the ILAE Commission on Therapeutic Strategies.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 1069-1077
- Treatment outcomes in patients with newly diagnosed epilepsy treated with established and new antiepileptic drugs a 30-year longitudinal cohort study.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 279-286
- Pharmacological and Therapeutic Properties of Cannabidiol for Epilepsy.Drugs [Internet]. 2019; 79 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-019-01171-4): 1435-1454
EMA 2019: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/epidyolex.
FDA 2018: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-drug-comprised-active-ingredient-derived-marijuana-treat-rare-severe-forms.
FDA 2022: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-indication-drug-containing-active-ingredient-derived-cannabis-treat-seizures-rare.
Gaston T, Szaflarski JP. Cannabis for the Treatment of Epilepsy: an Update. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2018;18(11).
- Cannabidiol in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy: an open-label interventional trial.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 270-278
- Trial of Cannabidiol for Drug-Resistant Seizures in the Dravet Syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376 (Available from): 2011-2020
- GWPCARE2 Study Group. Dose-ranging effect of adjunctive oral cannabidiol vs placebo on convulsive seizure frequency in Dravet syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 77: 613-621https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaneurol.2020.0073
- GWPCARE3 Study Group. Effect of cannabidiol on drop seizures in the Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1888-1897https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1714631
Thiele EA, Marsh ED, French JA, Mazurkiewicz-Beldzinska M, Benbadis SR, Joshi C, et al. GWPCARE4 Study Group, 2018 17. Cannabidiol in patients with seizures associated with Lennox-.
- Long-term cannabidiol treatment for seizures in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex: An open-label extension trial.Epilepsia. 2021; 63: 426-439
- Highly Purified Cannabidiol for Epilepsy Treatment: A Systematic Review of Epileptic Conditions Beyond Dravet Syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.CNS Drugs [Internet]. 2021; 35 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40263-021-00807-y): 265-281
- Study Design, Precision, and Validity in Observational Studies.J Palliative Med [Internet]. 2009; 12 (Available from): 77-82
- Evidence-based medicine—When observational studies are better than randomized controlled trials.Nephrology. 2020; 25: 737-743
- Challenges in meta-analyses with observational studies.Evidence Based Mental Health. 2020; 23: 83-87
- Quality of life in childhood epilepsy in pediatric patients enrolled in a prospective, open-label clinical study with cannabidiol.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 96-100
- Open-label use of highly purified CBD (Epidiolex®) in patients with CDKL5 deficiency disorder and Aicardi, Dup15q, and Doose syndromes.Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 86: 131-137
- Long-term safety and treatment effects of cannabidiol in children and adults with treatment resistant epilepsies: expanded access program results.Epilepsia. 2018; 59: 1540-1548
- Artisanal Cannabis in Young and Adults Patients with Treatment Resistant Epilepsy: Prospective, Observational, Open-Label Study in Argentina.J Neurol Neurol Disorders. 2018; 4: 202https://doi.org/10.15744/2454-4981.4.202
- Cannabidiol: Pharmacology and potential therapeutic role in epilepsy and other neuropsychiatric disorders.Epilepsia. 2014; 55: 791-802
- Long-term efficacy and safety of cannabidiol in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsies: Four-year results from the expanded access program.Epilepsia [Internet]. 2022;
- Efficacy of CBD-enriched medical cannabis for treatment of refractory epilepsy in children and adolescents. An observational, longitudinal study.Brain Dev. 2018; 40: 544-555
- A Pilot Study on the Use of Low Doses of CBD to Control Seizures in Rare and Severe Forms of Drug-Resistant Epilepsy.Life. 2022; 12: 2065https://doi.org/10.3390/life12122065
- Long-term use of cannabidiol-enriched medical cannabis in a prospective cohort of children with drug-resistant developmental and epileptic encephalopathy.Seizure. 2022; 95: 56-63
- Chronic administration of cannabidiol to healthy volunteers and epileptic patients.Pharmacology. 1980; 21: 175-185
- Cannabidiol normalizes resting-state functional connectivity in treatment-resistant epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2020; 112107297https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2020.107297 020
- Cannabinoid therapy in epilepsy.Curr Opin Neurol. 2019; 32: 220-226
- Cannabinoids in the Treatment of Epilepsy: Hard Evidence at Last?.J Epilepsy Res [Internet]. 2017; 7 (Available from): 61-76
- Cannabidiol Adverse Effects and Toxicity.Curr Neuropharmacol [Internet]. 2019; 17 (Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31161980): 974-989
- Cannabidiol in the Treatment of Epilepsy.Clin Drug Invest. 2021; 41: 211-220