- •The ADI is an effective tool for assessing disadvantage of pediatric epilepsy.
- •Disadvantaged conferred risk for diminished HRQoL and familial factors.
- •Propose ecological model to examine determinants of HRQoL.
- •Need for whole-child approach to epilepsy management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
- Psychological and quality of life outcomes in pediatric populations: a parent-child perspective.J Pediatr. 2013; 163: 1471-1478https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2013.06.028
- Self-reported and parent-reported quality of life of children and adolescents with new-onset epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 1489-1498https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03094.x
- Validating the shortened Quality of Life in Childhood Epilepsy Questionnaire (QOLCE-55) in a sample of children with drug-resistant epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 646-656https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13697
- Predictors of long-term quality of life after pediatric epilepsy surgery.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 873-881https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13004
- Health status of people with epilepsy compared with a general reference population.Epilepsia. 2000; 41: 85-90https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1157.2000.tb01510.x
- Standards for epidemiologic studies and surveillance of epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 2-26https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03121.x
- Quality of life in pediatric epilepsy: demographic and disease-related predictors and comparison with healthy controls.Epilepsy Behav. 2003; 4: 36-42https://doi.org/10.1016/S1525-5050(02)00601-7
- Examining health-related quality of life, adaptive skills, and psychological functioning in children and adolescents with epilepsy presenting for a neuropsychological evaluation.Epilepsy Behav. 2010; 19: 487-493https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2010.08.002
- Factors affecting the quality of life in childhood epilepsy in China.Acta Neurol Scand. 2006; 113: 167-173https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0404.2005.00567.x
- Adverse effects of antiepileptic drugs and quality of life in pediatric epilepsy.Neurol India. 2015; 63: 353-359https://doi.org/10.4103/0028-3886.158203
- The role of executive functioning in quality of life in pediatric intractable epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 64: 37-43https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2016.08.018
- Cognitive development in children with new onset epilepsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2014; 56: 635-641https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.12432
- The relationship of seizure focus with depression, anxiety, and health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2017; 68: 115-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2016.12.009
- Cognitive profile, psychopathological symptoms, and quality of life in newly diagnosed pediatric epilepsy: A six-month, naturalistic follow-up study.Epilepsy Res. 2021; 179106844https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2021.106844
- Depressive symptoms contribute to quality of life in children with epilepsy.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2014; 18: 774-779https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpn.2014.08.002
- Executive function and depressed mood are independently disruptive to health-related quality of life in pediatric temporal lobe epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 115107681https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2020.107681
- Parental coping and its role in predicting health-related quality of life in pediatric epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 87: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2018.08.009
- Family factors and psychopathology in children with epilepsy: a literature review.Epilepsy Behav. 2005; 6: 488-503https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2005.03.006
- Disparities in epilepsy: report of a systematic review by the North American Commission of the International League Against Epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2009; 50: 2285-2295https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02282.x
- Disparities in epilepsy surgery in the United States of America.J Neurol. 2017; 264: 1735-1745https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-017-8560-6
- Social context as a risk factor for psychopathology in children with epilepsy.Seizure. 2018; 57: 14-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2018.03.007
- Risk factors for health-related quality of life in children with epilepsy: a meta-analysis.Epilepsia. 2014; 55: 1722-1731https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.12772
- Trajectories of health-related quality of life among children with newly diagnosed epilepsy.J Pediatr Psychol. 2016; 41: 1011-1021https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsw019
- Effects of parental gender and level of education on the quality of life and general health of pediatric patients with epilepsy: An outpatient cross-sectional survey.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 60: 118-123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2016.04.037
- Area deprivation index predicts readmission risk at an urban teaching hospital.Am J Med Qual. 2018; 33: 493-501https://doi.org/10.1177/1062860617753063
- Neighborhood, family, and childhood and adolescent epilepsy: a nationwide epidemiological study from Sweden.Seizure. 2014; 23: 62-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2013.09.014
- Disparities in the nationwide distribution of epilepsy centers.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 125108409https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108409
- Area deprivation is associated with poorer overall survival in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020; 67: e28525https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.28525
- Assessment of neighborhood poverty, cognitive function, and prefrontal and hippocampal volumes in children.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2023774https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.23774
- The impact of a poverty reduction intervention on infant brain activity.PNAS. 2022; 119 (e2115649119)https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2115649119
- Neighborhood deprivation, prefrontal morphology and neurocognition in late childhood to early adolescence.Neuroimage. 2020; 220117086https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.117086
- Incidence and prevalence of childhood epilepsy: A nationwide cohort study.Pediatrics. 2017; 139: e20163908https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-3908
- Toward an experimental ecology of human development.Am Psychol. 1977; 32: 513-531https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.32.7.513
- Validation of a new quality of life measure for children with epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2000; 41: 765-774https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1157.2000.tb00240.x
- Executive skills in children and adolescents: A practical guide to assessment and intervention.2nd ed. Guilford Press, New York2010
- Development and assessment of a shortened Quality of Life in Childhood Epilepsy Questionnaire (QOLCE-55).Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 864-872https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13000
- Making neighborhood-disadvantage metrics accessible — The Neighborhood Atlas.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2456-2458https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1802313
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine Public Health. Area Deprivation Index v3.0, https://www.neighborhoodatlas.medicine.wisc.edu/mapping; 2022 [accessed 9 October 2022].
- Introduction of an area deprivation index measuring patient socioeconomic status in an integrated health system: Implications for population health.EGEMS (Wash DC). 2016; 4: 1238https://doi.org/10.13063/2327-9214.1238
- The research methods knowledge base.3rd ed. Atomic Dog, Ohio2008
- IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows.IBM Corp, New York2021
- Quality of life in children with epilepsy.Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2011; 4: 279https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-2327.91948
- Risk factors for poor health-related quality of life in adolescents with epilepsy.Epilepsia. 1999; 40: 1715-1720https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1157.1999.tb01588.x
- Sociodemographic correlates of health-related quality of life in pediatric epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2008; 12: 96-101https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2007.07.009
- Intractable pediatric temporal lobe epilepsy in the United States: examination of race, age, sex, and insurance status as factors predicting receipt of resective treatment.J Neurosurg. 2007; 107: 469-473https://doi.org/10.3171/PED-07/12/469
- Disparities in pediatric epilepsy remission are associated with race and ethnicity.J Child Neurol. 2019; 34: 928-936https://doi.org/10.1177/0883073819866623
- The intersection of extreme poverty and familial mental health in the United States.Soc Work Ment Health. 2017; 15: 677-689https://doi.org/10.1080/15332985.2017.1319893
- The impact of pediatric epilepsy on children and families: A multicenter cross-sectional study.Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health. 2018; 14: 323-333https://doi.org/10.2174/1745017901814010323
Thompson PJ, Upton D. The impact of chronic epilepsy on the family. Seizure 1992;1:43–8. https://doi-org.ezproxy.lib.utexas.edu/10.1016/1059-1311(92)90054-5.
- Depressive symptoms among mothers of children with epilepsy: a review of prevalence, associated factors, and impact on children.Epilepsia. 2009; 50: 2344-2354https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02276.x
- Psychiatric symptoms and parental stress in children and adolescents with epilepsy.Front Neurol. 2021; 12778410https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2021.778410
- The economic burden of caregiving in epilepsy: An estimate based on a survey of US caregivers.Epilepsia. 2020; 61: 319-329https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.16429
Allin S, Stabile M. Socioeconomic status and child health: what is the role of health care, health conditions, injuries and maternal health? Health Econ Policy Law 2012;7:227–42. https://doi-org.ezproxy.lib.utexas.edu/10.1017/S174413311100034X.
- Mental health and poverty in the inner city.Health Soc Work. 2013; 38: 147-157https://doi.org/10.1093/hsw/hlt013
- Socioeconomic status, health care use, and outcomes: persistence of disparities over time.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 957-964https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2010.02968.x
- Prevalence of seizures and associated factors in children under five living in a deprived municipality of southern Brazil.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2007; 65: 581-586https://doi.org/10.1590/s0004-282x2007000400006
- The influence of endophenotypic, disease-specific, and environmental variables on the expression of anxiety in pediatric epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2017; 75: 90-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2017.07.008
- Psychosocial adjustment of children with chronic epilepsy and their families.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1991; 33: 201-215https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1991.tb05109.x
- Maternal reactions to a child with epilepsy: Depression, anxiety, parental attitudes and family functions.Epilepsy Res. 2011; 95: 213-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2011.03.020
- The psychoeducational program for children with epilepsy and their parents (FAMOSES): results of a controlled pilot study and a survey of parent satisfaction over a five-year period.Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 25: 11-16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2012.06.012
Andersson K, Ozanne A, Edelvik Tranberg A, Chaplin JE, Bolin K, Malmgren K, et al. Socioeconomic outcome and access to care in adults with epilepsy in Sweden: A nationwide cohort study. Seizure 2020;74:71–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2019.12.001.
- The influence of socioeconomic status on health resource utilization in pediatric epilepsy in a universal health insurance system.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 455-463https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13290
- Inequities in health care needs for children with medical complexity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 2190-2198https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0273