- •The mental health burden for people with epilepsy (PWE) is considerable.
- •Screening for mental distress, though recommended, is often not done routinely.
- •We report the feasibility of a postal-telephone mental distress screening pathway.
- •Mood and quality of life (QOL) outcomes improved for PWE included in the pathway.
- •However, 1 in 3 PWE could not be screened, possibly those struggling most with mood.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
- The relationship of depression to antiepileptic drug adherence and quality of life in epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 36: 138-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.05.011
- Marital status of patients with epilepsy: factors and quality of life.Seizure. 2015; 27: 66-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2015.02.028
- Depression but not seizure frequency predicts quality of life in treatment-resistant epilepsy.Neurology. 2004; 62: 258-261https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000103282.62353.85
- Depression correlates with quality of life in people with epilepsy independent of the measures used.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 62: 246-250https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2016.07.020
- The presence and clinical implications of depression in a community population of adults with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2006; 8: 213-219https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2005.09.014
Coppola G, Operto FF, Matricardi S, Verrotti A. Monitoring and managing depression in adolescents with epilepsy: current perspectives. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2019;15:2773–80. http://doi: 10.2147/NDT.S192714.
- Epilepsy-related and other causes of mortality in people with epilepsy: A systematic review of systematic reviews.Epilepsy Res. 2019; 157106192https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2019.106192
- A national study of epilepsy-related deaths in Scotland: Trends, mechanisms, and avoidable deaths.Epilepsia. 2021; 62: 2667-2684https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.17065
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN). Diagnosis and Management of Epilepsy in Adults. Edinburgh: SIGN; 2015.
American Academy of Neurology. Depression and anxiety screening for patients with epilepsy; 2017. https://www.aan.com/practice/depression-anxiety-screening-epilepsy-quality-measure [accessed 24 September 2022].
NHS RightCare. Epilepsy Toolkit; 2020. https://www.england.nhs.uk/rightcare/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2020/03/rightcare-epilepsy-toolkit-v2.pdf [accessed 24 September 2022].
- Rapid detection of major depression in epilepsy: a multicentre study.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 399-405https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(06)70415-X
Taylor RS, Sander JW, Taylor RJ, Baker GA. Predictors of health-related quality of life and costs in adults with epilepsy: a systematic review. Epilepsia 2011;52:2168–80. https://doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03213.x.
- Managing depression and anxiety in people with epilepsy: A survey of epilepsy health professionals by The ILAE Psychology Task Force.Epilepsa Open. 2021; 6: 127-139https://doi.org/10.1002/epi4.12455
- A survey of neurologists screening and management of depression in patients with epilepsy.Neurology. 2019; 92 (P1.5-008)
Gillespie DC, Duncan S, Flewitt, BI, Sacripante R, Chin R. Screening for anxiety, depression and suicidality by epilepsy specialists in Scotland. Submitted for publication.
- Pilot project of psychological services integrated into a pediatric epilepsy clinic: Psychology Adding Value – Epilepsy Screening (PAVES).Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 120107968https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.107968
- Validation and utility of a self-report version of PRIME-MD: the PHQ primary care study. Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders. Patient Health Questionnaire.J Am Med Assoc. 1999; 282 (PMID: 10568646): 1737-1744https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.18.1737
Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JB. The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure. J Gen Intern Med 2001;16:606–13. https://doi: 10.1046/j.1525-1497.2001.016009606.x.
- Validation of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9) for depression screening in adults with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 37: 215-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.06.030
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-IV.American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1994
Lowe B, Unutzer J, Callahan CM, Perkins AJ, Kroenke K. Monitoring depression treatment outcomes with the patient health questionnaire-9. Med Care 2004;42:1194–201. http://doi:10.1097/00005650-200412000-00006.
- Optimal cutoff score of the Neurological Disorders Depression Inventory for Epilepsy (NDDI-E) for detecting major depressive disorder: A meta-analysis.Epilepsy Behav. 2019; 92: 61-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2018.12.006
- Screening for depression in people with epilepsy: comparative study among neurological disorders depression inventory for epilepsy (NDDI-E), hospital anxiety and depression scale depression subscale (HADS-D), and Beck depression inventory (BDI).Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 34: 50-54https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.03.003
- Can the Distress Thermometer be improved by additional mood domains? Part I. Initial validation of the Emotion Thermometers tool.Psycho-Oncol. 2010; 19: 125-133https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1523
- N132 Study Group. Maintenance of improvement in health-related quality of life during longterm treatment with levetiracetam.Epilepsy Behav. 2003; 4: 118-123https://doi.org/10.1016/s1525-5050(03)00004-0
Devinsky O, Vickrey BG, Cramer J, Perrine K, Hermann B, Meador K, et al. Development of the quality of life in epilepsy inventory. Epilepsia 1995;36:1089–104. http://doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1157.1995.tb00467.x.
Myland M, Buysse B, Tsong W, Power GS, Nordli D, Chin RFM. Seizure frequency, healthcare resource utilisation and mortality in childhood epilepsy: a retrospective cohort study using the THIN database. Arch Dis Child 2019;104:1070–76. http://doi:10.1136/archdischild-2019-316910.
- 'If you're gonna die, you're gonna die': Young adults' perceptions of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy.Chronic Illn. 2015; 11: 230-241https://doi.org/10.1177/1742395314557705
- A qualitative study of the reactions of young adults with epilepsy to SUDEP disclosure, perceptions of risks, views on the timing of disclosure, and behavioural change.Epilepsy Behav. 2015; 42: 98-106https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.11.018
- Beating the Blues’: computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy.Prim Health Care. 2000; 4: 17-18
- Computerised, interactive, multimedia cognitive behavioural therapy for anxiety and depression in general practice.Psychol Med. 2003; 33: 217-227https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702007225
- Defining successful treatment outcome in depression using the PHQ-9: a comparison of methods.J Affect Disord. 2010; 127: 122-129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2010.04.030
- Enhanced rates of detection and treatment of depression and anxiety disorders among adult patients with epilepsy using automated EMR-based screening.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 123: 108259https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108259
- A Meta-Analysis of the Rates of Suicide Ideation, Attempts and Deaths in People with Epilepsy.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 1451https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16081451
- Factors associated with suicidal ideation in an epilepsy center in Northern New England.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 121108009https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108009
- Help-seeking and treatment preferences for depression in epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2011; 22: 740https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2011.08.042
- Computer-assisted cognitive behavioral therapy for children with epilepsy and anxiety: a pilot study.Epilepsy Behav. 2013; 27: 70-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2012.12.014
- Remote delivery of cognitive behavioral therapy to patients with functional neurological disorders: Promise and challenges.Epilepsy Behav Rep. 2021; 16100469https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ebr.2021.100469
- Prevalence and determinants of depression in patients with epilepsy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Middle East Curr.Psychiatry. 2022; : 29https://doi.org/10.1186/s43045-022-00190-4
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.166.10.1092
ieso Health. Why online therapy?; 2022. https://www.iesohealth.com/why-online-therapy [accessed 24 September 2022].