- •Seizure is a significant in-flight medical emergency event.
- •Seizures lasting longer than 5 minutes may progress to status epilepticus.
- •None of the major airlines were equipped with seizure rescue medications.
- •Easily applicable seizure rescue medications should be included in the in-flight medical emergency kits.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- In-flight medical emergencies during commercial travel.J Travel Med. 2021; 28: taab094https://doi.org/10.1093/jtm/taab094
- Physical injuries in patients with epilepsy and their associated risk factors.Seizure. 2012; 21: 165-168https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2011.10.009
- Seizure clusters.J Drug Assess. 2021; 10: 86-90
- Prevalence and predictors of seizure clusters: a prospective observational study of adult patients with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 88: 349-356
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/buccolam/ accessed on 28 April 2022.
- VALTOCO® (Diazepam Nasal Spray) for the Acute Treatment of Intermittent Stereotypic Episodes of Frequent Seizure Activity.Neurol Int. 2021; 13: 64-78
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_airlines_in_the_world/ accessed on 28 April 2022.
https://www.britishairways.com/health/docs/during/Aircraft_Medical_Kit.pdf accessed on 27 April 2022.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/whats-inside-an-airplanes-emergency-medical-kit/ accessed on 12 May 2022.
https://www.icao.int/publications/Documents/8984_cons_en.pdf/ accessed on 13 May 2022.
https://www.iata.org/en/programs/safety/health/ accessed on 13 May 2022.
- Effect of rescue medication on seizure duration in non-institutionalized children with epilepsy.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2018; 22: 56-63
- A Phase 3 open-label study of the efficacy, safety and pharmacokinetics of buccally administered midazolam hydrochloride for the treatment of status epilepticus in pediatric Japanese subjects.Epilepsy Res. 2021; 174106651https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2021.106651
- Oro-mucosal midazolam maleate: Use and effectiveness in adults with epilepsy in the UK.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 123: 108242https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108242
https://www.drugs.com/history/nayzilam.html/ accessed on 13 May 2022.
- A critical evaluation of midazolam nasal spray for the treatment of patients with seizure clusters.Expert Rev Neurother. 2021; 21: 1195-1205https://doi.org/10.1080/14737175.2021.1890033
- Intranasal midazolam versus intravenous/rectal benzodiazepines for acute seizure control in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 125108390https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108390
- Efficacy, tolerability, and safety of concentrated intranasal midazolam spray as emergency medication in epilepsy patients during video-EEG monitoring.CNS Drugs. 2020; 34: 545-553
https://www.drugs.com/history/valtoco.html/ accessed on 13 May 2022.
- A review of a diazepam nasal spray for the treatment of acute seizure clusters and prolonged seizures.Expert Rev Neurother. 2021; 21: 1207-1212https://doi.org/10.1080/14737175.2021.1965880
- DIAZ.001.05 Study Group. Final results from a Phase 3, long-term, open-label, repeat-dose safety study of diazepam nasal spray for seizure clusters in patients with epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2021; 62: 2485-2495
- Examining the patient and caregiver experience with diazepam nasal spray for seizure clusters: Results from an exit survey of a phase 3, open-label, repeat-dose safety study.Epilepsy Behav. 2021; 121: 108013https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108013
- Rescue therapies in epilepsy.Curr Opin Neurol. 2022; 35: 155-160https://doi.org/10.1097/WCO.0000000000001038
- Updated review of rescue treatments for seizure clusters and prolonged seizures.Expert Rev Neurother. 2022; 22: 567-577https://doi.org/10.1080/14737175.2022.2105207