- •We studied existing disorders in adults with a new diagnosis of epilepsy/seizures.
- •Forty percent of patients had a positive history, and 8 % reported >1 disorder.
- •Psychiatric (18%) and substance use (16%) disorders were most common.
- •Psychiatric and substance use disorders were most reported in those ≤65 years old.
- •Pre-existing health conditions were common and affected all age groups.
Abbreviations:FSC (First Seizure Clinics (FSCs)), RMH (The Royal Melbourne Hospital (Australia)), AH (Austin Health (Australia)), IRSAD (The Index of Relative Socioeconomic Advantage and Disadvantage), ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
- Somatic comorbidity of epilepsy in the general population in Canada.Epilepsia. 2005; 46: 1955-1962
- The epidemiology of the comorbidity of epilepsy in the general population.Epilepsia. 2004; 45: 1613-1622
- Comorbidities of epilepsy: current concepts and future perspectives.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 106-115
- Predictors of mortality in older adults with epilepsy: implications for learning health systems.Neurology. 2021; 96: e93-e101
- The impact of comorbid depression on health resource utilization in a community sample of people with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2004; 5: 337-342
- Premature mortality in epilepsy and the role of psychiatric comorbidity: a total population study.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1646-1654
- The somatic comorbidity of epilepsy: a weighty but often unrecognized burden.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 1282-1293
- Predictors of health-related quality of life and costs in adults with epilepsy: a systematic review.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 2168-2180
- Epilepsy across the spectrum: promoting health and understanding: a summary of the Institute of Medicine report.Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 25: 266-276
- Disentangling the relationship between epilepsy and its behavioral comorbidities – the need for prospective studies in new-onset epilepsies.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 31: 43-47
- Newly diagnosed seizures assessed at two established first seizure clinics: Clinic characteristics, investigations, and findings over 11 years.Epilepsia Open. 2021; 6: 171-180
- Factors not considered in the study of drug-resistant epilepsy: Psychiatric comorbidities, age, and gender.Epilepsia Open. 2021;
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia's Health 2012. Australia’s health series no 13 AUS 156. Canberra: AIHW; 2012. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/australias-health/australias-health-2012/contents/table-of-contents [Date of access Jan 20th 2020].
- Social determinants of health in epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 41: 283-289
- Mind the gap: multiple events and lengthy delays before presentation with a “first seizure”.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 1534-1541
- Recommendation for a definition of acute symptomatic seizure.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 671-675
World Health Organization (WHO). International Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision. Chapter V Mental and behavioral disorders due to psychoactive substance use. 2019. https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/F10-F19 – ICD-10 Version:2016. [Access date Jan 1st 2021].
- MRI-identified pathology in adults with new-onset seizures.Neurology. 2013; 81: 920-927
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australian Cancer Database (ACD) Australia: AIHW; 2021 [updated 04/13/2021. v43:[Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/about-our-data/our-data-collections/australian-cancer-database. [Access date: April 13th 2021].
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 3415.0 - Migrant Data Matrices, June 2011. https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Lookup/3415.0Glossary1June+2011 [Access date 8/1/2018].
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2033.0.55.001- Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia - Data only, 2006. https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/DetailsPage/2033.0.55.0012006?OpenDocument [Access date 03/02/2021].
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 3303.0 - Causes of Death, Australia, 2017. Deaths due to harmful alcohol consumption in Australia. https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0∼2017∼Main%20Features∼Deaths%20due%20to%20harmful%20alcohol%20consumption%20in%20Australia∼4 [Access July 21, 2021].
- Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol-use disorders.Lancet. 2009; 373: 2223-2233
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4362.0 - National Health Survey: Summary of Results; Victoria State Tables, 2004-05. https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/DetailsPage/4362.02004-05?OpenDocument [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- Depression in epilepsy: prevalence, clinical semiology, pathogenic mechanisms, and treatment.Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 54: 388-398
- Drug use in Australia: a community prevalence study.Med J Aust. 1992; 156: 759-764
Begg S, Vos T, Barker B, Stevenson C, Stanley L, Lopez AD. The burden of disease and injury in Australia 2003. In: Welfare AIoHa, editor. Canberra, ACT 2007.
- Evidence Review: The social determinents of inequities in alcohol consumption and alcohol-related health outcomes.VicHealth, Victoria, Australia2015
National Expert Advisory Committee on Alcohol. Alcohol in Australia: Issues and strategies. Australia: Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care; 2001. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/44119075/alcohol-in-australia-issues-and-strategies-department-of-health-. [Access date October 10th 2021].
- Epidemiology of DSM-5 alcohol use disorder: results from the national epidemiologic survey on alcohol and related conditions III.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 757-766
- Alcohol: equity and social determinants.in: Blass E. Kurup A.S. Equity, social determinants and public health programs. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2010
- Associations between socioeconomic factors and alcohol outcomes.Alcohol Res. 2016; 38: 83-94
- Alcohol intake and the pattern of trauma in young adults and working aged people admitted after trauma.Alcohol and Acoholism. 2005; 40: 269-273
- Clinical risk factors in SUDEP: a nationwide population-based case-control study.Neurology. 2020; 94: e419-e429
- Alcohol consumption and sudden unexpected death in epilepsy: experimental approach.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2009; 67: 1003-1006
- Markers of quality care for newly diagnosed people with epilepsy on Medicaid.Med Care. 2021; 59: 588-596
- Predictors of pharmacoresistant epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2007; 75: 192-196
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4362.0 - National Health Survey: Summary of Results; Victoria State Tables, 2007-08. https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/second+level+view?ReadForm&prodno=4362.0&viewtitle=National%20Health%20Survey:%20Summary%20of%20Results;%20State%20Tables∼2007-2008%20(Reissue)∼Latest∼02/09/2009&&tabname=Related%20Products&prodno=4362.0&issue=2007-2008%20(Reissue)&num=&view=& [Access date 5/9/2021].
- Psychiatric and neurologic risk factors for incident cases of new-onset epilepsy in older adults: data from U.S. Medicare beneficiaries.Epilepsia. 2014; 55: 1120-1127
- Hospitalization for psychiatric disorders before and after onset of unprovoked seizures/epilepsy.Neurology. 2012; 78: 396-401
- Depression and suicide attempt as risk factors for incident unprovoked seizures.Ann Neurol. 2006; 59: 35-41
- Major depression is a risk factor for seizures in older adults.Ann Neurol. 2000; 47: 246-249
- Epilepsy, suicidality, and psychiatric disorders: a bidirectional association.Ann Neurol. 2012; 72: 184-191
- Association of epilepsy and comorbid conditions.Future Neurol. 2009; 4: 663-668
- Missed, mistaken, stalled: Identifying components of delay to diagnosis in epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2021; 62: 1494-1504
- Comorbidities in patients with epilepsy: frequency, mechanisms and effects on long-term outcome.Epilepsia. 2021; 62: 2395-2404
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Development of an epilepsy-specific risk adjustment comorbidity index.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 2161-2167
- Comorbidity as an epidemiological construct.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 32
- Severe, uncontrolled hypertension and adult-onset seizures: a case-control study in Rochester.Minnesota Epilepsia. 1996; 37: 736-741
- Population-level evidence for an autoimmune etiology of epilepsy.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 569-574