- •We reviewed 520 pushbutton events from 154 long-term video-electroencephalographic studies.
- •Audiovisual factors impaired electroclinical correlation in 21% of events and 36% of studies.
- •Inadequate narration was the most common impairing factor.
- •Our work identifies opportunities to improve diagnostic event capture.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Minimum standards for inpatient long-term video-electroencephalographic monitoring: a clinical practice guideline of the International League Against Epilepsy and International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology.Epilepsia. 2022; 63: 290-315https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.16977
- Structured testing during seizures: a practical guide for assessing and interpreting ictal and postictal signs during video EEG long term monitoring.Seizure Eur J Epilepsy. 2019; 72: 13-22https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2019.08.008
- Developing and implementing a standardized ictal examination in the epilepsy monitoring unit.Neurol Clin Pr. 2021; 11: 127-133https://doi.org/10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000815
- Incidence and mechanisms of cardiorespiratory arrests in epilepsy monitoring units (MORTEMUS): a retrospective study.Lancet Neurol. 2013; 12: 966-977https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(13)70214-X
- Quality and safety in adult epilepsy monitoring units: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 1754-1770https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13564
- A consensus-based approach to patient safety in epilepsy monitoring units: recommendations for preferred practices.Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 25: 449-456https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2012.07.014
- Developing a culture of safety in the epilepsy monitoring unit: a retrospective study of safety outcomes.Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 25: 185-188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2012.06.028
- Fall prevention and bathroom safety in the epilepsy monitoring unit.Epilepsy Behav. 2015; 48: 75-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2015.05.026
- Quality improvement in neurology Epilepsy Quality Measurement Set 2017 update.Neurology. 2018; 91: 829-836https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000006425
- Quality indicators for the adult epilepsy monitoring unit.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 1771-1778https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13563
- Time to response and patient visibility during tonic–clonic seizures in the epilepsy monitoring unit.Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 89: 84-88https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2018.09.012
- Essential services, personnel, and facilities in specialized epilepsy centers-Revised 2010 guidelines.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 2322-2333https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2010.02648.x