- •More than half of patients with epilepsy had at least two chronic conditions (CC).
- •Total unadjusted healthcare expenditures were 3 times higher in patients with 2 CC than those without CC.
- •Total and specific healthcare expenditures increased with the number of chronic conditions.
- •Total and specific healthcare expenditure increase was driven by inpatient, outpatient, and medication expenditures.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Descriptive epidemiology of epilepsy in the U.S. population: a different approach.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 942-948https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13001
- The direct cost of epilepsy in children: evidence from the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, 2003–2014.Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 83: 103-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2018.03.020
- Health care expenditures among elderly patients with epilepsy in the United States.Epilepsia. 2018; 59: 1433-1443https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.14455
- The direct cost of epilepsy in the United States: a systematic review of estimates.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 1376-1387https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13084
Multiple chronic conditions measurement framework. 2012. Available at:. 2021. https://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2012/05/MCC_Measurement_Framework_Final_Report.aspx.
- Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 2269-2276https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.20.2269
- Epilepsy-related injuries.Epilepsia. 2006; 47: 79-86https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2006.00666.x
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQa). Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. 2014 Full year consolidated data file 2016a, Available from https://meps.ahrq.gov/data_stats/download_data/pufs/h171/h171doc.pdf. Accessed April, 2017.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQb). Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, 2014 Medical conditions 2016b, Available from https://meps.ahrq.gov/data_stats/download_data/pufs/h170/h170doc.pdf. . Accessed April 2017,
CPI Inflation Calculator. Washington, DC, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl.Accessed Accessed June 2016,
Gerteis JI, D, Deitz, D, LeRoy, L, Ricciardi, R, Miller, T, Basu, J. Multiple Chronic Conditions Chartbook. AHRQ Publications No, Q14-0038 Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. April 2014.
- A framework for the study of access to medical care.Health Serv Res Fall. 1974; 9: 208-220
StataCorp. Stata: Statistical Software. Version 14. StataCorp LP; 2015.
- Examining multiple comparison procedures according to error rate, power type and false discovery rate.J Modern Appl Statistical Methods. 2012; 11: 348-360
- Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?.J Health Econ. 2001; 20: 461-494https://doi.org/10.1016/s0167-6296(01)00086-8
- Two-part models.Stata J. 2015; 15: 3-20
- Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions among Medicare beneficiaries, United States, 2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E61https://doi.org/10.5888/pcd10.120137
- The causes of new-onset epilepsy and seizures in the elderly.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2016; 12: 1425-1434https://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S107905
- Epilepsy in the elderly: scope of the problem.Int Rev Neurobiol. 2007; 81: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1016/S0074-7742(06)81001-9
- The association between dementia and epilepsy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Epilepsia. 2017; 58: 962-972https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13744
- Negotiating vulnerabilities: how older adults with multiple chronic conditions interact with physicians.Can J Aging. 2014; 33: 26-37https://doi.org/10.1017/S0714980813000597
Soni A. Specialist Need and Access among Adults with Multiple Chronic Conditions, U.S. Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population, 2012. Statistical Brief (Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (US)). 2001.