- •There are opportunities to engage community pharmacists in epilepsy care.
- •This review identified 12 articles about community pharmacist epilepsy services.
- •Medication management and education were the most commonly reported services.
- •Most services were evaluated using an observational design or were not evaluated.
- •There are opportunities to innovate community pharmacists’ role in epilepsy care.
Abbreviations:ASM (anti-seizure medication), PaCIR (Pharmacist Patient Care Services Intervention Reporting), PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses), PWE (people living with epilepsy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
World Health Organization. Epilepsy, https://www.who.int/health-topics/epilepsy#tab=tab_1; 2020 [accessed 27 February 2020].
- National and state estimates of the numbers of adults and children with active epilepsy — United States, 2015.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 821-825
- Institute of medicine; board on health sciences policy; committee on the public health dimensions of the epilepsies.Epilepsy across the spectrum: promoting health and understanding. National Academies Press, Washington2012
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Epilepsy Fast Facts, https://www.cdc.gov/epilepsy/about/fast-facts.htm; 2018 [accessed 27 February 2020].
- Toward an integrated public health approach for epilepsy in the 21st century.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E146
- Frequent seizures and polytherapy can impair quality of life in persons with epilepsy.Neurol India. 2005; 53: 46-50
- Nonadherence to antiepileptic medications: Still a major issue to be addressed in the management of epilepsy.J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2019; 10: 106-112
- Role of pharmacists in the management of patients with epilepsy.Int J Pharm Pract. 2012; 20: 65-68
Avalere Health LLC. Exploring pharmacists’ role in a changing healthcare environment, https://avalere.com/insights/exploring-pharmacists-role-in-a-changing-healthcare-environment; 2014 [accessed 27 February 2020].
- Community-based pharmacy practice innovation and the role of the community-based pharmacist practitioner in the United States.Pharmacy (Basel). 2019; 7: 106
- Community pharmacist patient care services: a systematic review of approaches used for implementation and evaluation.J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2019; 2: 423-432
Giberson S, Yoder S, Lee MP. Improving patient and health system outcomes through advanced pharmacy practice. A report to the U.S. Surgeon General. Office of the Chief Pharmacist, US Public Health Service, https://www.accp.com/docs/positions/misc/Improving_Patient_and_Health_System_Outcomes.pdf; 2011 [accessed 20 June 2020].
de Barra M, Scott CL, Scott NW, Johnston M, de Bruin M, Nkansah N, et al. Pharmacist services for non‐hospitalised patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;9:CD013102.
National Pharmacist Workforce Study 2019. Final Report, https://www.aacp.org/sites/default/files/2020-03/2019_NPWS_Final_Report.pdf; 2020 [accessed 22 January 2021].
- PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 264-269
- PaCIR: a tool to enhance pharmacist patient care intervention reporting.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2019; 59: 615-623
- Community pharmacists monitor patients' serum drug levels.Am Drug. 1990; 201: 18
- Role of a pharmacist in a seizure clinic.Am J Hosp Pharm. 1990; 47: 2478-2482
- The relevance of a First-World therapeutic drug monitoring service to the treatment of epilepsy in Third-World conditions.S Afr Med J. 1990; 78: 587-590
- Measuring the impact of patient counseling in the outpatient pharmacy setting: Development and implementation of the counseling models for the Kaiser Permanente/USC patient consultation study.Clin Ther. 1995; 17: 988-1002
- Randomized trial to improve laboratory safety monitoring of ongoing drug therapy in ambulatory patients.Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 26: 619-626
- A pharmacist's contribution to an ambulatory neurology clinic.Consult Pharm. 2012; 27: 49-57
- Interventions associated with implementation of a pharmacist-led neurology pharmacotherapy clinic in an ambulatory care setting.J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2019; 2: 116-122
- The effect of a specialist clinic with pharmacist involvement on the management of epilepsy in paediatric patients.J Clin Hosp Pharm. 1986; 11: 207-214
- The impact of pharmacist's counseling on pediatric patients' caregiver's knowledge on epilepsy and its treatment in a tertiary hospital.Int J Clin Pharm. 2013; 35: 829-834
- The efficacy of a pharmacist implemented educational treatment programme for people with epilepsy: a report of a randomised controlled trial.Seizure. 2019; 69: 147-153
- Pharmacist impact on adherence of valproic acid therapy in pediatric patients with epilepsy using active education techniques.Epilepsy Behav. 2019; 98: 14-18
- Assessing the needs of pharmacists and physicians in caring for patients with epilepsy.J Am Pharm Assoc. 1999; 39: 499-504
Joint Commission of Pharmacy Practitioners. The Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process, https://jcpp.net/patient-care-process/; 2021 [accessed 15 January 2021].
CMM in Primary Care Research Team. The Patient Care Process for Delivering Comprehensive Medication Management, https://www.accp.com/docs/positions/misc/CMM_Care_Process.pdf; 2018 [accessed 15 January 2021].
- Antiepileptic dugs – best practice guidelines for therapeutic monitoring: a position paper by the subcommission on therapeutic drug monitoring. ILAE Commission on Therapeutic Strategies.Epilepsia. 2018; 49: 1239-1276
- The science of safety – an emerging concept in medication use and research.Innov Pharm. 2016; 3: 2
- Medication reconciliation in a community pharmacy setting.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2010; 50: 523-526
- MAP study: RCT of a medication adherence program for patients with type 2 diabetes.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2012; 52: 753-762
- Impact of pharmacist discharge medication therapy counseling and disease state education: Pharmacist Assisting at Routine Medical Discharge (project PhARMD).Am J Med Qual. 2013; 28: 292-300
- An integrated pharmacy-based program improved medication prescription and adherence rates in diabetes patients.Health Aff. 2012; 31: 120-129
- Improving refill adherence and hypertension control in black patients: Wisconsin TEAM trial.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2013; 53: 520-529https://doi.org/10.1331/JAPhA.2013.12246
- Improved outcomes in diabetes care for rural African Americans.Ann Fam Med. 2013; 11: 145-150
- An evaluation of pharmacist knowledge on treatment with antiepileptic drugs.Seizure. 2016; 34: 60-65
- An assessment of patient and pharmacist knowledge of and attitudes toward reporting adverse drug events due to formulation switching in patients with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2009; 14: 113-117
- An evaluation of pharmacists’ knowledge of women’s issues in epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2009; 14: 243-246
- Which information on women's issues in epilepsy does a community pharmacist need to know? A Delphi consensus study.Epilepsy Behav. 2017; 77 (Epub 2017 Nov 8 PMID: 29127865): 79-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2017.09.026