- •Patients using the ketogenic diet are reported as more active and productive.
- •Less anxiety and mood problems are reported in children using the ketogenic diet.
- •Improvement of activation in cognitive functioning during the ketogenic diet is seen.
- •An activated mood and cognitive activation are observed during the ketogenic diet.
- •The ketogenic diet has no negative impact on behavior and cognition in childhood.
The ketogenic diet (KD) is increasingly used for the treatment of refractory epilepsy in childhood because of the beneficial effect on seizure reduction. The aim of the current study was to objectively assess cognition and aspects of behavior during the first 4 months of a randomized controlled study in children and adolescents.
Participants from a tertiary epilepsy center were randomized to a KD group (intervention) or a care-as-usual (CAU) group (control). Follow-up assessments on cognition and behavior were performed approximately 4 months after initiation of the KD with a combination of parent report questionnaires and individually administered psychological tests for the children.
A total of 50 patients were enrolled in this study, 28 patients from the KD group and 22 patients from the CAU group. The KD group showed lower levels of anxious and mood-disturbed behavior and was rated as more productive. Cognitive test results showed an improvement of activation in the KD group.
This study showed a positive impact of the KD on behavioral and cognitive functioning in children and adolescents with refractory epilepsy. More specifically, an activated mood and cognitive activation were observed in patients treated with the KD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Natural history of treated childhood-onset epilepsy: prospective, long-term population-based study.Brain. 2006; 129: 617-624
- Subjectively perceived side-effects of anti-epileptic drugs in chronic refractory epilepsy.Adv Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015; 4: 186https://doi.org/10.4172/2167-1052.1000186
- The ketogenic diet: from molecular mechanisms to clinical effects.Epilepsy Res. 2006; 68: 145-180
- The ketogenic diet for the treatment of childhood epilepsy: a randomized controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 500-506
- The ketogenic diet in children, adolescents and young adults with refractory epilepsy: an Italian multicentric experience.Epilepsy Res. 2002; 48: 221-227
- The efficacy of the ketogenic diet — 1998: a prospective evaluation of intervention in 150 children.Pediatrics. 1998; 102: 1358-1363
- Efficacy and safety of the ketogenic diet for intractable childhood epilepsy: Korean multicentric experience.Epilepsia. 2005; 46: 272-279
- Ketogenic diet: an alternative treatment for refractory epilepsy in children.J Med Assoc Thai. 2001; 84: 1027-1032
- Efficacy of the ketogenic diet in focal versus generalized seizures.Pediatr Neurol. 2001; 25: 208-212
- Clinical efficacy of the ketogenic diet.Epilepsy Res. 1999; 37: 181-190
- A systematic review of the use of the ketogenic diet in childhood epilepsy.Pediatr Neurol. 2006; 35: 1-5
- Ketogenic diet for the treatment of refractory epilepsy in children: a systematic review of efficacy.Pediatrics. 2000; 105E46
- Ketogenic diet for epilepsy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 3CD001903
- The ketogenic diet.Neurologist. 2005; 11: 161-170
- Ketogenic diet and other dietary treatments for epilepsy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 3CD001903
- Use of the modified Atkins diet for treatment of refractory childhood epilepsy: a randomized controlled trial.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 481-486
- A randomized controlled trial of the ketogenic diet in refractory childhood epilepsy.Acta Neurol Scand. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1111/ane.12592
- Efficacy of the ketogenic diet for intractable seizure disorders: review of 58 cases.Epilepsia. 1992; 33: 1132-1136
- Clinical experience of ketogenic diet on children with refractory epilepsy.Acta Paediatr Taiwan. 1999; 40: 97-100
- Effects of ketogenic diet on development and behavior: preliminary report of a prospective study.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2001; 43: 301-306
- Experience with the ketogenic diet in infants.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 129-133
- Ketogenic diet improves sleep quality in children with therapy-resistant epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 59-65
- Ketogenic diet effects on cognition, mood and psychosocial adjustment in children.Acta Neurol Scand. 2013; 127: 103-108
- Research into the (cost-) effectiveness of the ketogenic diet among children and adolescents with intractable epilepsy: design of a randomized controlled trial.BMC Neurol. 2011; 11: 10
- De Aangepaste Profile of Mood States (Aangepaste POMS); Handleiding en verantwoording.Nijmegen, Berkhout-Nijmegen BV2005
- Assessing psychosocial adjustment of children with chronic illnesses: a review of the technical properties of PARS III.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1990; 11: 116-121
- Psychosocial adjustment in males with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: psychometric properties and clinical utility of a parent-report questionnaire.J Pediatr Psychol. 2009; 34: 69-78
- Handleiding voor het gebruik van de SDQ binnen de jeugdgezondheidszorg.Zutphen, Markant Congressen2006
- Disability due to restrictions in childhood epilepsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1997; 39: 521-526
- Validity of three measures of health related quality of life in children with intractable epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2002; 43: 1230-1238
- Handleiding Sociaal-Emotionele Vragenlijst (SEV).Bohn Stafleu van Loghum, Houten2007
- Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test — III-NL.Harcourt Test Publisher, Amsterdam2005
- The Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test as a pre-screening tool for global cognitive functioning in childhood brain tumor survivors.J Neurooncol. 2011; 104: 559-563
- The Beery–Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual–Motor Integration, administration, scoring and teaching manual.5th ed. NCS Pearson, Minneapolis2006
- Computerized neuropsychological assessment of cognitive functioning in children with epilepsy.Epilepsia. 1990; 31: S35-S40
- The impact of early versus late anticonvulsant reduction after ketogenic diet initiation.Epilepsy Behav. 2004; 5: 499-502
- Seizure frequency, behavioral, and performance effects of the ketogenic diet.Ann Neurol. 1995; 38: 549-550
- A randomized trial of classical and medium-chain triglyceride ketogenic diets in the treatment of childhood epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2009; 50: 1109-1117
- Long-term outcomes of children treated with the ketogenic diet in the past.Epilepsia. 2010; 61: 1277-1282
Published online: May 17, 2016
Accepted: April 18, 2016
Received in revised form: April 12, 2016
Received: March 21, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.