- •Little is known about the effects of personal electronic devices on the brain.
- •Text messaging appears to produce a unique waveform during video-EEG monitoring.
- •Independent cognitive–sensorimotor tasks did not produce similar waveforms.
- •A multi-afferent network and mesial frontal efferent are active during texting.
- •The TR may have implications for industry and health care.
Abbreviations:cEEG (continuous EEG), ES (epileptic seizures), NES (nonepileptic seizures), PEDs (personal electronic devices), TR (texting rhythm), VEM (video-EEG monitoring)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Epilepsy & Behavior
- Stimulus-induced rhythmic, periodic, or ictal discharges (SIRPIDs): a common EEG phenomenon in the critically ill.Epilepsia. 2004; 45: 109-123
- Artifact: recording EEG in special care units.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2011; 28: 264-277
- A novel EEG artifact in the intensive care unit.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2002; 19: 484-486
- Pitfalls in ictal EEG interpretation: critical care and intracranial recordings.Neurology. 2013; 80: S26-S42
Shannon V. 15 years of text messages, a ‘cultural phenomenon’. The New York Times-Technology 2007; http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/technology/05iht-sms.4.8603150.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. Accessed October 26, 2015.
- The texting rhythm: a novel EEG findings using smartphones.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2016; ([in press])https://doi.org/10.1097/WNP.0000000000000250
- Lambda waves and occipital generators.Clin EEG Neurosci. 2013; 44: 307-312
- US Smartphone Use in 2015.[Accessed October 6, 2015])
- Evoked theta hypersynchrony of adulthood.Clin Neurophysiol. 2013; 124: 2063-2066
- Normal adult EEG and patterns of uncertain significance.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2006; 23: 194-207
- Frontal midline theta rhythm is correlated with cardiac autonomic activities during the performance of an attention demanding meditation procedure.Brain Res Cogn Brain Res. 2001; 11: 281-287
- Euphoric (hedonic) theta hypersynchrony in early childhood.Epileptic Disord. 2006; 8: 299-304
- Frontal lobe: mental function and EEG.Am J EEG Technol. 1987; 27: 91-101
- Periodic appearance of theta rhythm in the frontal midline area during performance of a mental task.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1980; 49: 345-351
- Atlas of electroencephalography.in: Normal controls. vol. 1. Addison-Wesley Press, Inc., Cambridge, MA1950
- Frontal midline theta rhythm in young healthy adults.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1997; 28: 49-54
- Tracking cortical entrainment in neural activity: auditory processes in human temporal cortex.Front Comput Neurosci. 2015; 9: 5
- Frontal midline theta rhythm and gamma power changes during focused attention on mental calculation: an MEG beamformer analysis.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 406
- An electroencephalographic study on the zen meditation (Zazen).Folia Psychiatr Neurol Jpn. 1966; 20: 315-336
- Increased synchronization of neuromagnetic responses during conscious perception.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 5435-5448
- The electroencephalogram and mental activation.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1989; 20: 215-227
- Safety of theta burst transcranial magnetic stimulation: a systematic review of the literature.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2011; 28: 67-74
- Dissociation of alpha and theta activity as a function of verbal and visuospatial tasks.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1982; 53: 201-207
- Frontal intermittent rhythmical delta activity and anterior bradyrthmia.Chin Electroencephalogr. 1985; 16: 1-10
- Hippocampal states and functional relations with corticosubcortical systems in attention and learning.Prog Brain Res. 1967; 27: 228-245
- Trait anxiety is reflected in EEG alpha response to stress.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1981; 52: 175-191
- Multivariate analytic study of EEG and mental activity in juvenile delinquents.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1972; 33: 71-80
- Electroencephalogram paroxysmal theta characterizes cataplexy in mice and children.Brain. 2013; 136: 1592-1608
- Mobile phone use and stress, sleep disturbances, and symptoms of depression among young adults—a prospective cohort study.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 66
- Comparison of EEG propagation speeds under emotional stimuli on smartphone between the different anxiety states.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 1006
- Use-dependent cortical processing from fingertips in touchscreen phone users.Curr Biol. 2015; 25: 109-116
- SPECT-negative SIRPIDs: less aggressive neurointensive care?.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2014; 31: e6-10
- Report of IFCN committee on basic mechanisms. Basic mechanisms of cerebral rhythmic activities.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1990; 76: 481-508
- Texting while driving laws.[Accessed October 26, 2015])
- The dangers of texting while driving.[Accessed October 26, 2015])
- Neural coding of continuous speech in auditory cortex during monaural and dichotic listening.J Neurophysiol. 2012; 107: 78-89
☆This manuscript was presented in part at the annual meeting of the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society Houston, Texas 2/7/2015.