- •We determined comorbidities and cost for 8388 individuals with epilepsy.
- •58% of the study cohort had one or more of 29 prespecified comorbidities.
- •Health-care costs increased markedly as the number of comorbidities increased.
- •The mean monthly health plan paid cost for each patient in 2012 was $1028.
- •Of the $1028, $761 (74%) was for medical, and $267 (26%) was for pharmacy claims.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epileptic seizures and epilepsy: definitions proposed by the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) and the International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE).Epilepsia. 2005; 46: 470-472
- The cost of epilepsy in the United States: an estimate from population-based clinical and survey data.Epilepsia. 2000; 41: 342-351
- Economic burden of epilepsy among the privately insured in the US.Pharmacoeconomics. 2010; 28: 675-685
- Health plan paid cost of epilepsy in 2009 in the U.S..Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 25: 412-416
- Early treatment cost in epilepsy and how it varies with seizure type and frequency.Epilepsy Res. 2001; 47: 205-215
- Burden of uncontrolled epilepsy in patients requiring an emergency room visit or hospitalization.Neurology. 2012; 79: 1908-1916
- The health care burden of patients with epilepsy in the United States: an analysis of a nationwide database over 15 years.Neurosurg Focus. 2012; 32: E1https://doi.org/10.3171/2012.1.FOCUS11322
- Healthcare utilization and costs in adults with stable and uncontrolled epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 31: 356-362
- The burden of epilepsy to patients and payers.Am J Manag Care. 2010; 16: S331-S336
- The impact of comorbid depression on health resource utilization in a community sample of people with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2004; : 337-342
- Common comorbidities in women and men with epilepsy and the relationship between number of comorbidities and health plan paid costs in 2010.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 32: 15-20
- The somatic comorbidity of epilepsy: a weighty but often unrecognized burden.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 1282-1293
- The pre-therapeutic classification of co-morbidity in chronic disease.J Chronic Dis. 1970; 23: 455-468
- Estimating the cost of epilepsy in Europe: a review with economic modeling.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 2224-2233
- Overview of drugs used for epilepsy and seizures.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 35: 392-415
- Gender differences in epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2005; 46: 956-960
- Comorbidity in adults with epilepsy—United States, 2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 849-853
- Accounting for comorbidity in assessing the burden of epilepsy among US adults: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R).Mol Psychiatry. 2012; 17: 748-758
- Effect of comorbidities on medical care use and cost among refractory patients with partial seizure disorder.Epilepsy Behav. 2005; 7: 123-126
- Development of an epilepsy-specific risk adjustment comorbidity index.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 2161-2167
- Epilepsy across the spectrum: promoting health and understanding.([Internet]) The National Academies Press, Washington2012 ([[Accessed 2014 May 14] at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK91506/])
- Psychiatric comorbidity in epilepsy: a population-based analysis.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 2336-2344
- The epidemiology of the comorbidity of epilepsy in the general population.Epilepsia. 2004; 45: 1613-1622
- Premature mortality in epilepsy and the role of psychiatric comorbidity: a total population study.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1646-1654
- Comorbidities of epilepsy: results from the Epilepsy Comorbidities and Health (EPIC) survey.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 308-315
- Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 2269-2276
- Avoiding the costs of unrecognized psychological nonepileptic seizures.Neurology. 2006; 66: 1620-1621
- Towards a definition of comorbidity in the light of clinical complexity.Neurol Sci. 2008; 29: S99-S102
- Defining comorbidity: implications for understanding health and health services.Ann Fam Med. 2009; 7: 357-363
☆Statistical analysis performed by: BK Sharma.
☆☆Funding: Accordant Health Services , a CVS Caremark Company, Greensboro, NC.